Gig Guidance

You are an independent volunteer fundraiser. Accordingly, you should not directly or indirectly indicate that you are working for Turn Up For Recovery, or that Turn Up For Recovery is responsible for your fundraising event. You must not do anything that could damage Turn Up For Recovery’s reputation. If you do, we may ask you to stop your activity on behalf of Turn Up For Recovery and you must immediately do so.

As an independent fundraiser you are liable for injury or loss that may occur to you or anyone else attending your fundraising activity or other activities relating to it. You must take the correct health and safety precautions as Turn Up For Recovery does not have in place any insurance which extends to covering your fundraising activity.

You must comply with any applicable laws and regulations relating to your fundraising activity. This may involve obtaining licenses, permissions and / or consent, depending on the activity.

  • Supervision: if your event is going to involve a lot of people, make sure you have enough qualified helpers and amenities to handle everyone.
  • Parents / guardians: the parents / guardians of any children performing at any event must be consulted ahead of any activity.
  • Food hygiene: when preparing or handling food ensure you follow the correct procedures for preparation, storage, display and cooking of food. Visit for more information.
  • Risk: Be sure that you have completed and acted upon a full risk assessment where appropriate.
  • First Aid: if you are planning a really big event, you need to make sure that there are First Aiders available. Take advice from voluntary first aid organisations such as the Red Cross or St John Ambulance, and, if necessary, arrange cover. Go to or to arrange to speak to someone who can advise you further.
  • Insurance: Turn Up For Recovery cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury sustained by anyone participating in a fundraising activity. If your event involves the public, you may need public liability insurance. If you are using another venue, they may already have this in place; check with them first.
  • Lotteries & Raffles: the rules around organising these are strict and somewhat complicated. For example, if your raffle lasts longer than 24 hours, you will need to obtain a lottery licence. Go to, to check the latest information.
  • Licences: visit if you are unsure whether your event or collection requires a licence.